Friday 29 May 2009

How many Tescos are there?

I like the Daily Post. It's North Wales's only daily newspaper, and as such prides itself on being a cut above the smaller, weekly competition.
So imagine my dismay when I read the headline for a story about a new supermarket opening:
"Tesco ARE coming" (the newspaper's capital letters).
A shame it had to cap-up ARE, which only compounds the error. You or I may regularly refer to Tesco as "they" in everyday speech (not helped by the fact most people call the company Tescos), but a company is a singular entity, and I can only hope and prey there is not more than one Tesco. The Daily Post would have been better served with "Tesco IS coming". As for the town in question, I doubt it'll be any better served by Tesco whether it's coming or not.

By the way, a reader has kindly pointed out an error in my previous post (about Straits). The Strait separating Singapore from Malaysia is called Johor. The Singapore Strait separates the city from Indonesia.
But it's still only a Strait, not a Straits.

No comments: