Saturday 9 May 2009

I hate the word passionate with a passion

When did it become a prerequisite to use the word passionate in your work? Especially for job interviews? It's easy to picture the scene:
Interviewer: "Why should we hire you for this job vacancy?"
Interviewee: "Because I am passionate about removing illegal dog waste deposits from pedestrian thoroughfares."
Sometimes it also helps to thump your chest while using the word passionate. Not sure why. Have scientific studies shown that the most passionate things on the planet are gorillas? I missed that one.
You won't see an episode of The Apprentice without some horribly earnest young person going on about how passionate they are about something totally mundane. "I'm ahhhbsolutely passionate about marketing!" Really? Jesus, you must be dull. Wouldn't like to meet you in a party.
I'm passionate about one thing - my dislike of the word passionate. It's been used so much that it has been rendered meaningless.

2 comments:

Nick Simpson said...

I agree!

Spello said...

My blood pressure has been steadily rising in direct correlation to the increased frequency with which this word has been gratuitously used.

If you check the etymology of the word you will see that it comes from "misery, reviles, scorn and woe"- nice. A very appropriate root.

Yes, I am writhing with agony, experiencing the undeniable impulse to add figures into that database until my brain slowly turns into papier mache.

This is clearly part of our commitment to create a culture of pretense, in which the little slaves are expected to show enthusiastic gratitude to be allowed to mine coal and spitshine the shoes of the long suffering patrons who have to put up with their infectious presence.