Thursday 30 April 2009

Apple's app ads

Apple's latest TV ad (short for advertisement) is for apps (short for applications). Apps are software tools you can download to your new 'i'-branded App (short for Apple) gear - one tool, for example, remembers where you parked your car. Especially useful if you've parked at the Trafford Centre, or you're blonde and you've just parked. App's app ads got me thinking about another word I've seen shortened that just doesn't work.
I subscribe to a writing magazine which uses zine (short for magazine) a lot, much to my disgust. It sounds wrong. Whereas people say 'flu (short for Influenza, and usually written without the apostrophe...but not by me) and ad, have you ever heard anyone say zine instead of magazine? My brother says apps because he's a walking App ad (though I bought his Mac - short for Macintosh - off him, so I'm part of the revolution). If people say it, and it becomes part of everyday language, I think it becomes more acceptable to write it. Zine sounds wrong, it's lazy, and it's regularly used in a writing magazine of all places.

No comments: